Important Hand Hygiene Information
Since 2001, our XLERATOR® Hand Dryers have provided hygienic touch-free operation and promoted proper hand hygiene. Both the World Health Organization and the CDC list proper hand hygiene among the best defenses against spreading germs and infections, like the recent coronavirus.
While washing hands with soap and water is an important part of the equation, germs are more easily transferred to and from wet hands, making drying your hands completely critical to the hand washing process.
No doubt will be fielding questions on topics around hygiene and the coronavirus as they relate to our products. This bulletin is meant to assist you in fielding such inquiries.
HAND DRYERS DO NOT SPREAD THE CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19)
WUSA9 News - Washington, DC
According to the CDC, WHO and scientists from Johns Hopkins University, it has been reported that hand dryers do not spread the virus.
Are hand dryers spreading the coronavirus?
Our experts said no. There is no evidence that these hand dryers are spreading the virus.
Dr. Larry Chang from Johns Hopkins University
The World Health Organization
The Centers For Disease Control and Prevention
ARE HAND DRYERS HYGIENIC?
Yes! XLERATOR® Hand Dryers are absolutely a hygienic way to dry hands and promote proper hand hygiene.
- Both the World Health Organization and the CDC list proper hand hygiene among the best defenses against spreading germs.
- While washing hands with soap and water is important, equally important is completely drying them, as germs are more easily transferred to and from wet hands.
- XLERATOR hand dryers provide hygienic, touch-free operation and have been proven to dry hands completely in 8 seconds per the Global UL Environment PCR testing standards.
- As an added measure to reduce the spread of germs, our HEPA Filtration System creates a clean air flow by removing 99.97 percent of potentially present bacteria or viruses at 0.3 microns or larger from the air stream.
- Currently healthcare workers in contact with Coronavirus patients are recommended to wear surgical R35 masks which filter 95% of germs at 0.3 microns.
- XLERATOR Hand Dryers help create a more hygienic restroom environment.
- They eliminate bacteria-laden paper towel waste which can overflow trash receptacles, clog toilets and sinks and be thrown on the floor.
CAN PROPER HAND WASHING AND HAND DRYING PREVENT THE SPREAD OF THE CORONAVIRUS?
- Both the World Health Organization and the CDC list proper hand hygiene among the best defenses against spreading germs, like the coronavirus.
- Touch-free XLERATOR® Hand Dryers contribute to proper hand hygiene.
- Warm air hand dryers are listed as an approved hand drying measure by the World Health Organization.
HOW DO HAND DRYERS COMPARE TO OTHER HAND DRYING METHODS
- An independent study by the Mayo Clinic concluded there was no difference in bacteria counts when drying with paper or hand dryers.
- Another science laboratory at Laval University, found 17 species of bacteria on UNUSED recycled paper towels—so paper towels may not be as hygienic as one would think.
- Removing paper towels from the restroom removes the risk for bacteria-laden paper towels from accumulating around waste receptacles and significantly reduces the risk of plumbing clogs from improper paper towel disposal.
- The best way to prevent the spread of germs is to dry hands completely after washing as germs are more easily transferred to and from wet skin.
*Dry time and energy use testing performed by SGS International on standard XLERATOR Hand Dryer with 0.8" nozzle to 0.25g or less of residual moisture, pursuant to the UL Environment Global Product Category Rules (PCR) for Hand Dryers.
EXCEL DRYER IS COMMITTED TO CREATING HYGIENIC HAND DRYER SOLUTIONS.
UPDATED RESOURCE PAGE
Additional information on hygiene and the hygienic efficacy of our dryers is available on the hygiene resource page of our website.
HYGIENE RESOURCES FROM FEDERAL AGENCIES
For more general public health information, consult: